Threading in VB.NET

A few people have been asking me how to build threading into their applications to improve the applications responsiveness and/or perceived performance.  Rather then rehash what's already been well written about, here's a few articles that I suggest reading:

Ted Pattison has done a series of articles on the subject for the Basic Instincts column in MSDN Magazine.

Ken Getz has also written a follow-up of sorts to Ted's article series, but that article is not available via MSDN yet.  If you are interested in seeing that article right now, you'd have to go pick up a copy of the March 2005 issue of MSDN Magazine.  If you don't have a subscription to this magazine, what's wrong with you? ;-)

Carl Franklin has also done an example of a component that works with the designers that utilizes threading and shows how to communicate between the worker thread and the UI thread.  He has yet another example illustrating the value of thread synchronization.  I recommend checking both of these out as well.

Doug Thews has a recent article in Visual Studio Magazine (albeit in C#) that contains even more information (from another perspective) on threading in .NET.  If there's any interest, I could finish converting the rest of the code to VB (I've already converted the ProgressBar example for a friend).  Just let me know and I'll make it available for download.

[update] Found another example available on GotDotNet by MDolan.

Published Thursday, February 10, 2005 6:32 PM by CorySmith
Filed under: ,

Comments

# re: Threading in VB.NET

Monday, February 21, 2005 10:54 PM by Vince Blasberg
There's also a simple one on the DDJ site by Richard Grimes, (a former .Net developer):

# re: Threading in VB.NET

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 5:37 PM by Brad Cundiff
I'd like to see that progress bar code. Is the progress bar on a seperate form?
That is the issue I'm facing with building a UI that shows the user progress of SQL Reporting Services .pdf files that are created as email attachments.
Having trouble interacting with the pop-up form while the calls to my SQL Reporting Services component are running.

# re: Threading in VB.NET

Thursday, November 10, 2005 5:50 AM by Amar
Hi, I want to show the progress of transaction in progress bar in my VB.NET Application plz suggest the way?

# re: Threading in VB.NET

Saturday, February 04, 2006 1:33 AM by SHAILENDRA KUMAR YADAV
Hello Sir,

I have a problem,I have communicated with the serial COM port using VB.NET and now there is a need of multithreading that the thread always monitors in background for anything comes to the serial port. And when it comes then the thread triggers and do what is written in that thread.

And instead of this we are doing some other processess. So we don't have to wait for the data comes from the serial port. The data comes there is in string format.

Please solve this problem.

Thank you.

SHAILENDRA KUMAR YADAV

# re: Threading in VB.NET

Monday, August 14, 2006 6:40 AM by Arindam

# re: Threading in VB.NET

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 10:45 AM by Andrew
Hi I am trying to use threading and delegates to create a collection of classes which contain scanning threads. The part I am hung up on is when I return the messages from the individual threads to the main class. The events do pass, but still on their own threads. Could you tell me how I would marshall these requests onto the main thread? Thanks