Google Desktop... Uses 2.3GB of your drive???????????

Everyone seems to be shouting praises about Google Desktop... however, reading through one persons experience, I have a concern.

“It finished surprisingly fast (over the night). 216K items, of them ~36K emails. The index is 2.3Gb.”
-- Jan Haugland

OK, so if my math isn't failing me, that's approximately 11+k per “document” indexed.  11K!!!! That can't be right?  Also, I would have liked to known how large those documents consume on the drive.

Also, if it took all night to process that many files... how much CPU is used to keep this 2.3GB index up to date whenever files are added/modified?  Is searching through your documents really taking all that much time?  How often are you actually doing a search?  To me, for the amount of times I'm actually looking for something, the search built into XP seems to work just fine.  Sure, it's not instant... but do I want to give up a percent of my drive and CPU cycles for the rare instances that I need to do a search just so it happens Google-fast?  I could understand maybe coming up with a solution to find emails faster (which I believe there are other products available that do just Outlook); but word documents, source code, IE's browser cache, etc...

Now, to be clear, I haven't actually tried this myself.  I'm waiting to hear everyone else's impression first.  I have to admit I'm a little leery of using it and I'm a bit greedy with my hard drive usage... no matter how much I have, I keep running out of it.

Published Friday, October 15, 2004 7:18 PM by CorySmith
Filed under:

Comments

# re: Google Desktop... Uses 2.3GB of your drive???????????

Friday, October 15, 2004 8:23 PM by Aaron Wright
My index totals 80.6M. That's for almost 6000 emails, and about 8000 documents.

For those who can't find it, the index is stored in c:\documents and settings\USERNAME\local settings\application data\google\google desktop.

# re: Google Desktop... Uses 2.3GB of your drive???????????

Monday, October 18, 2004 11:00 AM by Fred Beiderbecke
My index is 217 meg for 35000+ documents and emails, about 18000 of the total is email.

# Google Desktop Uses 2.3GB of Your Drive!

Tuesday, October 19, 2004 2:09 AM by Tech Guru

# re: Google Desktop... Uses 2.3GB of your drive???????????

Tuesday, October 19, 2004 3:32 AM by Nathan Nutter
16k items
106 MB

# Concerns of how much space Google Desktop search index is consuming

Tuesday, October 19, 2004 9:30 AM by IT Digest - Ingenious Tejas's Digest Blog

# re: Google Desktop... Uses 2.3GB of your drive???????????

Monday, October 25, 2004 9:57 AM by planetoid
30k items (~4k emails) use 234M

# re: Google Desktop... Uses 2.3GB of your drive???????????

Monday, January 2, 2006 12:59 AM by Jason
Mine is using almost 4.5 gigs now

# re: Google Desktop... Uses 2.3GB of your drive???????????

Thursday, March 16, 2006 4:50 AM by chris
I was shocked when my 20GB Dell PC started to give me warnings about max'd out hard drive. After having to search my system to find where the files were I eventually tracked it down by turning off the HIDDEN applications folder where google desktop resided.

Get this!!!

11.2GB in the google directory. No wonder I was max'd out.

Disgusted that this happened on my system. I have now removed this appliciation from all of my work and personal PC's freeing up my systems from this stranglehold.

# re: Google Desktop... Uses 2.3GB of your drive???????????

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 10:18 PM by Jesper
4.49 GB / 95695 emails, 704 chats, 149376 web history, 708211 files... maybe time to clean up my computer...